Welcome to the College of Pharmacy.
AIU Health Science Centers ,at the Gambia College of Pharmacy is the first Pharmacy school in Africa offering a curriculum patterned after the US pharmacy program and is designed to meet the licensing requirements in USA. College of Pharmacy offers a (4) year program leading to Doctor of Pharmacy(Pharm D) degree to students who have successfully completed high school. The program consists of (16) months of Pre-pharmacy studies followed by (24) months of Basic sciences and (6) months of Clinical sciences
Higher placement in the pharmacy program (Basic Sciences) may be available to qualified candidates who have completed their first degree with relevent subjects.
All faculty members are highly qualified and experienced professionals. Our curriculum provides learning opportunities in a wide variety of pharmacy practice settings, including hospitals, clinics and health centers operated by Government of The Gambia.
We are committed to helping our students succeed in their pharmacy education. The aim of the pharmacy program is to:
- To assume responsibilities as professional and competent pharmacists and to provide professional services.
- To function in the hospital, community health services, and conduct research studies in the areas of pharmacy practice.
- To demonstrate skills in communication and interpersonal relationship.
- To demonstrate leadership qualities and decision - making abilities in various situations.
- To demonstrate skills in teaching to individuals and groups in community health settings.
- To practice ethical values in their personal and professional life.
- To recognize the need for continued learning for their personal and professional development.
September 10, 2013
Honorable Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Dr. Omar Sey welcomed the group of new students
who joined the university from September 2013. The freshman class attended the orientation with a visit to the hospital and the new construction site of AIU Health Science Center at Kanifing Institutional Area.
September 1, 2013
AIU Kotu Campus was acquired last month to be utilized as a residential halls for international student.
The 80 rooms facility is exclusively for the AIUWA students.
November 30, 2012
Clearing at the newly acquired land for the permanent site of the new campus has begun ahead of schedule. The construction is scheduled to start within next 40 days. Currently estimated to cost $16M, the new campus shall have 11 laboratories, 4800 sq.ft library, 18 classrooms, 2 dry labs and 12 conference rooms. The new campus is scheduled to be completed in 2014/15.
The plans for the main buildings are being finalized.
November 5, 2012
Land acquired for new campus
5+ acre of land in the heart of the city has been acquired for building a new and permanent campus. The land is ideally located just 2 blocks from the Friendship Residence Hall and 3 blocks from Serekunda Hospital.
On October 29, 2012, the ground breaking ceremony was conducted on the newly acquired land. Many faculty staff and students attended the ceremony where prayer to Mother Earth was offered.