Welcome to the College of Nursing.
A career in nursing can open the door to a number of professional opportunities. At AIU Health Science Center's College of Nursing we educate our students to be leaders in the healthcare system providing the highest quality nursing care.
College of Nursing offers two programs leading to Bachelor of Nursing Science (BSN) degree.
Our faculty has the knowledge and expertise in evidence-based nursing practice. Our curriculum provides learning opportunities in a wide variety of nursing practice settings, including hospitals, clinics and health centers operated by Government of The Gambia.
We are committed to helping our students succeed in their nursing education. The aim of the nursing programs at the various levels is to enable nurses:
- To assume responsibilities as professional competent nurses and midwives at basic level and to provide preventive, curative and rehabilitation services.
- To make independent decisions in nursing situations and to protect the rights of and facilitate individuals and groups in pursuit of health.
- To function in the hospital, community nursing services, and conduct research studies in the areas of nursing practice.
- To assume the role of teachers, supervisor & manager in clinical/public health settings.
- To assess health status, identify nursing needs, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care for patients/clients that contribute to the health of individuals, families and communities.
- To demonstrate competency in techniques of nursing based on concepts and principles from selected areas of nursing, physical, biological and behavioral sciences.
- To demonstrate skills in communication and interpersonal relationship.
- To demonstrate leadership qualities and decision - making abilities in various situations
- To demonstrate skills in teaching to individuals and groups in community health settings.
- To practice ethical values in their personal and professional life.
- To recognize the need for continued learning for their personal and professional development.
September 10, 2013
Honorable Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Dr. Omar Sey welcomed the group of new students
who joined the university from September 2013. The freshman class attended the orientation with a visit to the hospital and the new construction site of AIU Health Science Center at Kanifing Institutional Area.
September 1, 2013
AIU Kotu Campus was acquired last month to be utilized as a residential halls for international student.
The 80 rooms facility is exclusively for the AIUWA students.
November 30, 2012
Clearing at the newly acquired land for the permanent site of the new campus has begun ahead of schedule. The construction is scheduled to start within next 40 days. Currently estimated to cost $16M, the new campus shall have 11 laboratories, 4800 sq.ft library, 18 classrooms, 2 dry labs and 12 conference rooms. The new campus is scheduled to be completed in 2014/15.
The plans for the main buildings are being finalized.
November 5, 2012
Land acquired for new campus
5+ acre of land in the heart of the city has been acquired for building a new and permanent campus. The land is ideally located just 2 blocks from the Friendship Residence Hall and 3 blocks from Serekunda Hospital.
On October 29, 2012, the ground breaking ceremony was conducted on the newly acquired land. Many faculty staff and students attended the ceremony where prayer to Mother Earth was offered.