Welcome to the College of Medicine.
AIU Health Science Centers ,at the Gambia College of Medicine is the first Medical school in Africa offering a curriculum patterned after the US medical program and is designed to meet the licensing requirements in USA. College of Medicine offers a (5+) year program leading to Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree to students who have successfully completed high school. The program consists of (16) months of Pre-medical studies followed by (20) months of Basic sciences and (24) months of Clinical sciences.
High placement directly into the Medicine (Basic Sciences) may be available to qualified candidates who have completed their first degree with relevant subjects.
AIUWA College of Medicine is listed in
IMED FAIMER International Medical Education directory published
by Education Commission for Medical Graduates (US) ECFMG. AIUWA medical students are eligible to give
USMLE examinations for certification in US.
The clinical medical training is conducted at various hospitals, clinics and regional health centers in Gambia. Specialized clinical training is available at affiliated international institutions.
All faculty members are highly qualified and experienced professionals. Our curriculum provides learning opportunities in a wide variety of medical practice settings, including hospitals, clinics and health centers operated by Government of The Gambia.
We are committed to helping our students succeed in their medical education. The aim of the medical program is to:
- To assume responsibilities as professional and competent physicians, doctors and surgeons and to provide preventive, curative and rehabilitation services.
- To make independent decisions in medical situations and to protect the rights of and facilitate individuals and groups in pursuit of health.
- To function in the hospital, community health services, and conduct research studies in the areas of medical practice.
- To demonstrate skills in communication and interpersonal relationship.
- To demonstrate leadership qualities and decision - making abilities in various situations.
- To demonstrate skills in teaching to individuals and groups in community health settings.
- To practice ethical values in their personal and professional life.
- To recognize the need for continued learning for their personal and professional development.